Sat, Mar 20|
Yoga Goes Vegan: An All Day Gathering + Retreat
This content-packed, full-day retreat will provide a wealth of reasons why it's important to go vegan as a yogi, and suggestions for how to make the switch—healthfully, affordably, and seamlessly.
Time & Location
Mar 20, 2021, 9:30 AM – 6:00 PM EDT
About the Event
March 20 has been “Meatout Day” since 1976, and we’ll mark its 45th anniversary by declaring March 20, 2021, the day that Yoga Goes Vegan. Ahimsa, dynamic harmlessness, is a vital part of the Yoga tradition and Integral Yoga has always recommended a vegetarian diet. As we evolve as individuals, and as we see the devastating effects of all animal agriculture, including dairy production, on the lives of the animals involved and on the earth, we are called to stretch further and consider a move toward vegan eating and living.
Many modern Yogis may not be aware of the importance of veganism (or vegetarianism) or know how to implement it into their lives. The purpose of this conference is to help Yoga practitioners move gently in this direction.
This content-packed, full-day retreat will provide a wealth of reasons why this is important, and suggestions for how to make the switch—healthfully, affordably, and seamlessly. As this is not without controversy, we invite Yoga teachers and students who are vegan and feel a bit ostracized in their Yoga communities to be reenergized by this global vegan movement. This will be a great day for “coming out” by vegan Yogis, and for inviting others in.
The conference is a co-production of the Integral Yoga Institute, YogaIsVegan.com and the Yoga Is Vegan podcast, and MainStreetVegan.net and the Main Street Vegan podcast. We have gathered a diverse array of presenters and will also include times for small group-gatherings to share your own process. The schedule is below, all times given as U.S. Eastern Standard
Agenda: Yoga Goes Vegan Gathering and Retreat 45th Annual Meatout Day, March 20, 2021
- 9:30–9:45 a.m. Welcome with Chandra/Jo Sgammato
- 9:45–10:30 a.m. Integral Yoga Class with Chandra/Jo Sgammato
- 10:30–11:15 a.m. The Nuts and Bolts (and Grains and Beans) of Being a Vegan Yogi with Victoria Moran, Main Street Vegan
- 11:15–11:30 a.m. Break
- 11:30–11:40 a.m. The Symbolism of Krishna’s Love of Butter Video with Sailesh Rao, Ph.D., ClimateHealers.org
- 11:40 a.m.–12:15 p.m. Why Are You Here Today? Breakout sessions
- 12:15–1:00 p.m. Vegan Yoga and Ayurveda with Sujatha Menon, Five Seasons Yoga, UK
- 1:00–2:00 p.m. Lunch break
- 2:00–4:00 p.m. Yoga, Ahimsa, and Real Life: A Vegan Yogis’ Panel with Carole Kalyani Baral (ed., The Yoga Way: Food for Body, Mind & Spirit by Sri Swami Satchidananda), joined by panel members Holly Skodis (Yoga Is Vegan and Yoga Is Vegan Podcast), Jess Gumkowski (YogiTriathlete Podcast), Christina Gdisis (Compassionate Filled Life)
- 4:00–4:15 p.m. Break
- 4:15–5:00 p.m. Yoga, Veganism, Kids, and Our Future with Rep. Jeremy Gray, Alabama state representative
- 5:00–5:30 p.m. How Will You Further Embody Ahimsa in Your Practice and in Your Life? Breakout sessions
- 5:30–6:00 p.m. Closing and Meditation with Chandra